Through a Different Lens - May 11, 2021 - 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM
7:00 AM – 7:55 AM Check-In and Breakfast in Cafeteria
Pickup your name tag and gift at the ticket booth in the Lobby outside the auditorium. Please find your seat and silence your phone by 7:55 AM.
8:00 AM Welcome and Opening Remarks
Organizer Fred Darbonne & Board Member Teresa Garcia along with Hosts Rheya Spigner, KCCI TV8 news anchor, and John Martin, Sr, author and local business owner.
No flash photography or video recording is allowed in the main auditorium. Please remain seated when speakers are on the stage.
8:15 AM – 8:45 AM TEDx Talks
- Diana Kautzky, Models Matter: Seeing Deaf people through a cultural lens
- Jann Freed, Embrace Death: Find meaning in life
8:45 AM – 9:30 AM Performances and Networking
- Mindfulness instruction by LaTonya Shook, owner of The Zone of Comfort in Urbandale.
- Dance performed and choreographed by T’Ana Smith.
9:30 AM – 11:00 AM TEDx Talks
- Efrem Jackson, Mind the Gap: Confronting wealth inequality
- Triniti Krauss, Talking Politics: From the dinner table to the NYC train
- Becky Naderman, 7 Doors In: Lessons learned inside a medium security prison
- Seth Watkins, Farming Evolved: Agriculture through a different lens
11:00 AM – 12:25 PM Lunch in Cafeteria
Please find your seat and silence your phone by 12:25 PM.
11:45 AM Live Showcases
A series of themed moments will be aired live on-screens throughout the event space and in the main auditorium featuring spoken word art group Next Poet, with members Louis Fountain, Lenny Bell, and Daron Richardson. Showcases will feature interaction with pre-selected audience members.
Past: Cultural appreciation and historic preservation - A film about Franklin Junior High.
Present: Unheard voices, resilience and recovery - Unveiling of a painting by nationally-recognized artist B. Robert Moore. Black Lives of DSM photographs and stories by Janae Gray. Music by Andre Davis.
Future: Innovation, art and technology - Live painting by Artist Amenda Tate using her interactive Manibus Project technology. Mural by artist J. Wells. Community engagement and activation through-the-arts video of Gateway Dance Theatre.
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM TEDx Talks
- Abena Imhotep, Interrupting “Iowa Nice”: Road Work Ahead
- Jack Clarke, Put Me In, Coach
- Scott Bruxvoort, I Love You, But You’re Being Gross
1:30 PM – 2:15 PM Performances and Networking
2:15 PM – 3:15 PM TEDx Talks
- Sara Maniscalco Robinson, A Veteran’s Perspective: Life lessons I’ve learned from interviewing veterans
- Julie Larson, Living in the And: When life takes an unexpected turn
- Lee Towe, Pies We Share: Are you a grower or a grabber?
3:15 PM - 3:45 PM Musical Performances
4:00 PM Closing Remarks
Musical Guests throughout the day include: Andre Davis, Coldsaint, Damon Dotson, Entre’, FREE PWR, L.Lobo Mestizo, RaJan Monroe, Will Tunink, and UpEthic
Disclaimer: TEDxDesMoines has the sole right to make changes at will and at any time to the lineup and performances at the event due to unforeseen circumstances or decisions determined by committee. There will be no refunds due to changes.
Franklin Jr. High School
4801 Franklin Avenue
Des Moines, IA, IA 50310
For more information visit their website.
Seating is limited, so reserve your ticket now to ensure you are a part of this exceptional event. Be a part of the return of TEDx to the Des Moines area!
Not only will you have a chance to hear incredible ideas from people in the Des Moines area, but you will also be treated to engaging and creative entertainment. This will be a premium experience, and you have a chance to be there when it happens!
Get your tickets today!